With the end of Daylight Saving Time (DST) approaching at the end of the month you may need to upgrade or restart your Agents to fix an issue with DST handling in versions of the Agent older than 5.5.2.
# How do I know if I’ll be impacted?
You may ignore this message if:
- Your server(s) clocks are set to UTC
- You operate in a time-zone without daylight saving
- Your server(s) are running agents greater than or equal to 5.5.2
# How to test if your server(s) are on UTC or DST
Linux or Unix: If you are using Linux/Unix, simply run "date" on your servers and if the output is something along the lines of "Sat Oct 29 22:00:56 UTC 2016", your servers are not affected. If they read something like "Sat Oct 29 18:09:09 EDT 2016" they are affected.
Windows: Simply look at the time in the taskbar.
# How can I fix this?
If you are going to be affected there are 3 options you may take to avoid gaps in data and spurious alerts:
1. We implemented a fix in version 5.5.2 - released on 26 OCT 2015 - to address this, the simplest way to avoid problems if your server(s) run in DST is to upgrade the Agent to a recent version before DST ends.
2. If your server(s) clock is set to DST, you should upgrade the Agent to a version newer than 5.5.2 before DST ends (Oct. 30th in Europe / Middle East, Nov. 6th in the US)
or plan to restart the Agent right after DST ends to avoid seeing delays of 1 hour in your graphs at that time and receiving spurious "no-data" alerts.
3. If the server(s) clock is set to DST (instead of UTC), the Agent will collect but not send metrics on Sunday, 1 NOV 2016 early morning, when DST ends, for 1 hour.
As a result you may see:
- Missing data in your graphs for that one hour
- Spurious alerts due to Agents not reporting.
If you cannot upgrade in time please plan to restart the Agent shortly after the daylight saving change.
If you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- sorry for the inconvenience.